Monday, June 14, 2010

What Foods Do you Buy?


Not so long ago, if you'd taken a peek into my grocery cart you'd have seen things such as PopTarts, various sugar coated cereals, all kinds of chips and candy, packaged cookies and crackers, white sandwich bread, bologna, hot dogs, cheap cuts of meat, Toaster Strudel, various soft drinks, Kool-aid, Country Time lemonade, fish sticks and Little Debbies.




Now, if you look into it you're likely to find grass-fed beef and pastured poultry, apples, bananas, oranges, peaches, kiwi, watermelon, cantaloupe, carrots, lettuce, squash, avocados, onions, peppers, beans, cheese, and potatoes. In my kitchen is a 5 gallon bucket of coconut oil for cooking and frying. In my kitchen are also buckets of flours - bread, all-purpose, and self-rising (because making the change to all whole wheat is a process). In my laundry room are buckets of wheat berries and corn for making fresh wheat flour and fresh corn meal.



Nowadays, I read food labels. I want real food for my family instead of whatever is on sale or new or I know to taste good and be easy to serve.

Yes, it does cost more to buy the kinds of foods that I now buy, but our lives are worth it.

What kinds of foods do you buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment