Monday, June 14, 2010

Food - What's It Worth?

Somewhere recently, I either heard or read that Americans spend a much smaller amount of their income on food than other countries.

It seems that we Americans many times desire to spend as little as possible on food for our families, as evidenced by the popularity of websites such as www.moneysavingmom.com and others devoted to helping you save money. While I've been a big fan of the aforementioned website in the past (and still try to remember to check it daily to see if there's anything to benefit my family), I no longer try to spend as little as possible on food for my family.

Why? Because I've learned that cheapest is not always best. Cheap food is easy to buy, easy to store, and fast when you need to eat. But, at what expense?

Cheap food tends to be loaded with ingredients that you don't know what they are and can't pronounce. Cheap food tends to have ingredients that are included to enhance the flavor because without them, the food made with those strange ingredients just doesn't taste good. Cheap food will harm you while you enjoy it's good taste and convenience.





A couple of years ago, I purchased the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I was interested in it for the recipes that are included. Nourishing Traditions is a cookbook that's loaded with valuable information about food, it's components, it's effect on the human body, and the benefits of good foods.

Well, the information part of the book didn't interest me so much at the time and I put the book down after looking at only a portion of the recipes.




Time went on and I was again drawn to the book. This time, I wanted to know the information more than to read the recipes. My, at the wealth of good information!



My copy of the book is now well read and has much red underlining. I've learned so much! I return to it almost daily now to learn some more or to check if I've remembered correctly about something.

My family now spends more money on food to get what we believe is good quality food. In many instances, good quality food costs more money. We believe it's worth the cost.

If you want good quality food, read Nourishing Traditions. You just might think it's worth it to increase your grocery budget, too.

3 comments:

  1. I love this book too Donna. Sally Fallon was doing some seminars in this area last month but I didn't get to go. When I read the book the first few times I was so inspired and we made some big (for us) changes. Since then I've become more lax again :( I have a dear friend who has been strictly following the principles after learning of some major health deficiencies she has and she is improving! Another great bok you might like is by Nancy Campbell's daughter; I think it's called Eat Raw or something like that :) Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelbi just wanted me to ask if there is a recipe in here for the Tater Tot Casserole we eat!! LOL--funny, but not so funny :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for suggesting the book by Nancy Campbell's daughter. I'll look for it. Tator Tot casserole, hum... sounds good and creamy. Try making homemade cream of chicken soup to use in it. That would help some!

    ReplyDelete