Friday, April 23, 2010
The sewing machine was humming for a couple of days earlier this week. One day was spent making what I'll call a "running skirt".
I'd ordered a pattern for a modest swimsuit from Fashionably Modest Patterns. It arrived, and that night, Sarah and I went to Joann's to look for fabric. The selection was slim, mostly just solid colors. After a few minutes, I decided to get navy. Although I liked the bright pink better, I didn't want to get something that would scream out "look at me" every time someone drove past me. The navy would be practical and easy to match with a shirt for running.
I made the bottom of the swimsuit - the skirt with the attached shorts underneath. I lengthened both the skirt and shorts a few inches. The lycra wasn't too hard to sew with, but not quite as easy as the cotton or cotton blends that I usually sew. This was to be a "practice" piece to see if I could make swimsuits for all us girls. I believe that I can, but will attempt to make the swimsuit top before deciding for sure.
When finished, my opinion is that the skirt is too full for running. I plan to somehow make it more narrow. I also want to add three pockets - one for the door key and pepper spray (got nipped by a dog recently and although he didn't break the skin, it hurt and now I'm scared of it happening, again), one for the cell phone (so I can call for help if I trip and fall and really get hurt, or so the children can get in touch with me) and a couple of tissues, and one for the mp3 player (because I like to listen to things while I out - preaching, teaching, and currently, a book on tape). These will be experiments, as I have no pattern or directions. We'll see how it goes...