Friday, April 9, 2010

Dress from a Shirt






About a year ago, I found a tutorial here about how to change a shirt into a dress for a little girl. I forgot about it until recently, then a blog that I follow did a post on how to do the same thing, in a different way, getting a different look.

I decided to try it and make one for Lydia for her birthday. I ran into a challenge because I started with a size 16 girls button up shirt (think school uniform - that's what it was), instead of a mens shirt. That meant that the sleeves weren't large enough for the shoulder straps, so I had to come up with a different plan.

First, I dyed the white shirt purple, Lydia's favorite color. Then, I followed the directions here.

I bought a 1/4 yard of fabric to use for the shoulder straps and the extra chest piece (because the front was too low without adding something there). With the leftover fabric, I decided to add on the trim across the bottom front of the dress to jazz it up a little.

I'm pleased with the results and so is Lydia. She says she's going to save it to wear the next time that just she and I go somewhere together (likely to her 5yo check-up).

No comments:

Post a Comment