Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bedroom Transformation, Day 9 continued and 10

You know, I'm not doing so well at getting these posted in order. Oh well, at least it's documented for me to be able to go back and see how many days it took to get the whole job finished.

Yesterday, I also got to do something I've been wanting to do for years. If I'd known how easy it would be to do, it would have been done long ago. A few days ago, I read about spray painting and got the idea to use spray paint to change the color of our dresser and chest. I long ago tired of the old brown stained color. After living with it for more than 20 years, I had not grown fonder of it. Instead, I'd grown to like it less and less.

So, I hauled the chest outside and started the transformation. Here's a before shot.



I used Rust-Oleum Automobile Primer as the primer. It turned a nice, ugly gray color so easily and in just minutes! Not a brush stroke in sight, either!




Here she stands, nice a gray. That color is even an improvement.
.





After drying for a while, I started applying the white. That's when I learned that not all spray paint is created equal. The cheap $1 stuff from Walmart did not cover like the Rust-Oleum had covered. So, after using two cans of the cheap stuff, I took back the other can and got more Rust-Oleum brand, this time in white. The difference was easy to see. It appeared that the cheap stuff sprayed out more air than paint.


Here's a shot of the dresser tonight after it was put back in place. I wish the knobs and drawer pulls were different, but that's not where we wanted to spend money right now. I'm happy with the way it turned out and am anxious to start on the dresser tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment