Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Running


Well, jogging, really. Since I run so slow (or at least some in my family think I do) maybe the best word for it is jogging, but it's the same movement. Now that I'm going a measurable distance, I like to think of it as running.

Toward the end of last summer, I decided to take up walking for exercise. I have a friend who's been a committed walker for some time and I decided it was high time I did something for exercise, too. The walking gradually turned into running. The first time I ran the entire loop behind our house without stopping was so exciting! Then, months later, the first time I ran the distance of a 5K, it was
exhilarating!

I read about a month ago of someone who had the goal of running 1000 miles in a year. That captured my interest! What would it take to run that far in a year? I grabbed the calculator. Too much mileage for me. After all, you have to take into account that there will be some days that you won't run, such as when it rains or being out-of-town.

But, I wanted a goal. I re-calculated. Yes, this other number was doable. My goal? 700 miles.
Yep! I plan to run 700 miles by the end of 2010. On an average day, I run 3.12 miles. So, running 5 days a week will get me to that goal with room to spare. So far, I've logged in a little more than 39 miles.

Why do I want to run that far? Why do I want to run at all? The exercise is good for me and it gets me outside. Before I started walking, there might be 2 or 3 days where I'd go outside only to get the mail. I've seen many sunrises in the last few months and found I enjoy being outside. An added benefit is that my clothes should begin to fit a slight bit differently. For now, it seems I can eat whatever and as much as I want and my weight doesn't go up. That alone is a huge motivator! Lastly, it hasn't cost me anything, after the initial investment of the shoes.


As Martha Stewart would say. "It's a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment