Friday, January 22, 2010

Pumpkin Waffles



I have the desire to start cooking breakfast once in a while during the week (okay, so I want to cook breakfast often during the week, but I'm being realistic here). We were needing more pumpkin waffles, so this morning that's what I made. They're yummy with a spice cake kind of flavor. Mrs. Butterworth's on top makes them wonderful! I put what we don't eat in the freezer. A double batch will last us for a few weeks, depending on how often they get picked as the "breakfast of champions".

My recipe is adapted from this one at Smitten Kitchen. Since I make a double batch for our family, you might want to halve all the ingredients if you choose to make them. Here's my version.

Pumpkin Waffles

5 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
8 large eggs, separated
2 cups milk
2 cups sour cream
2 cups pumpkin
12 TBSP butter, melted

Whisk together the dry ingredients. In another large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the milk, sour cream, pumpkin, and melted butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until they're combined.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they have soft peaks. Gently stir them into the waffle batter, just until combined.

Cook on your greased waffle iron and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment